Note: I apologize in advance if I misuse any terms – not my intent. If I am misusing any terminology, let me know and I will make the necessary edits.
I received an email today from the Minnesota Republican Party encouraging me to contact my legislator to encourage them to support the Student Safety and Physical Privacy Act (HF 1546). Now, I’m used to being on the opposite side of the Minnesota Republican Party (MnGOP) on most things. However, I am not used to their logic being so just. . .nonsensical that it makes me head hurt and inspires me to write a blog post. Well, congrats MnGOP, today you did just that.
In the email, their reasons why this bill should pass are as follows:
“- Ensure that schools continue to provide bathrooms and locker rooms separated by biological sex.
– Ensure schools can meet individual student needs who are uncomfortable using the facility that corresponds with their biological sex by providing access to a private, faculty, or other facility.
– Protect all students’ basic physical safety and privacy rights when in personal intimate settings.
– Protect the current status of girls’ athletics.
– Maintain local control by school boards, and policy oversight by the legislature, with regard to transgender accommodations.”
Now, to be fair, I’m not on the opposite side on all of these points.
Should we “Protect all students’ basic physical safety and privacy rights when in personal intimate settings.”
Absolutely, without a doubt.
And I’m totally in support of local schools districts taking a stand in this policy area, just like the St. Paul Public Schools did earlier this week. Good on you, St. Paul School Board, for being a leader on this issue.
However, let’s look at the points where I think MnGOP logic fails.
Here are some cameraphone #protips to kick off 2015. You can thank me later.
1. If you don’t look your best in a selfie (remember to hold the phone with your arm extended above your head for the most flattering angle), or it is not in focus, or your finger is in front of the camera – just take another! No shame in aiming for your best look in each and every selfie!
2. Clean off your cameras on the regular. There are likely fingerprints on it, which leads to smudgy photos. This includes the forward facing one.
3. FOCUS. Before you click, select your focus point. Please.
4. If it is super blurry – consider not posting. While your moment across the room from the President may have been amazing, the crappy blurry photo that makes him look like a blob doesn’t really help us be in the moment with you.
5. Background awareness. Make sure you aren’t capturing anything uber-awkward in the background of your photo. You don’t want to end up on a Buzzfeed list of the most inappropriate photo backgrounds of all time, do you?
6. Just say no to the selfie stick.
7. Choose your filters wisely.
8. Don’t auto cross-post – except at times from Instagram to Facebook. Since Twitter no longer shows Instagram photos in Twitter streams, people may not click to look at your masterpiece.
9. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Don’t overshare.
10. Have fun. Explore. Share you world with others!
It’s summer in Minnesota – finally! The sun is shining. I can drive with my windows down and the sunroof open. I can hangout in my backyard and not *have* to have a fire going.
I am happy.
Still plugging away at the whole yoga thing. It’s actually been kinda fun since I can go at my own pace and not feel like I’m being judged by others in a class. I can already feel some of my muscles responding (with some discomfort – but not pain!) and my shoulder isn’t protesting.
It’s also amusing to be in the downward facing dog during my sun salutations, and look over to see this guy doing the same thing. It seems as if Scout may like the whole yoga thing too. The cats, not so much.
I’m happy to have also found some creative inspiration again. I’m also working on reorganizing my existing photography and other projects so I can share. Expect some of the results to show up here soon.
Time for some relaxation and more House MD on Netflix.
So, I’ve decided to try doing yoga.
There are a variety of reasons why, and I know how helpful stretching is for me and my back so I figured why not.
Instead of signing up for a class and going somewhere, I’ve decided to try the at-home route. I know my schedule and figured it would be easier to fit it in at home when I can, then to try to get to a place in time for a class. Plus there isn’t the pressure of trying to keep up with a class full of people and I can do things at my own pace and comfort level.
I asked @chelstalkssmack for some suggestions for apps to use for at-home yoga for beginners and she came through.
I did my first session today via the Cody app – the Mini Class: Vinyasa from Patrick Beach. (Note: the app is free to download, and the plan I purchased was $14.99 for 12 classes that I can redo and cycle through at my own pace)
After my first session, I realized a few things:
1. It feels good to get my heart-rate up and stretch out my hamstrings but holy crap do I need this.
2. Best part of the class was when his cat walks through and lays down to watch
3. I need a yoga mat because my living room area rug is not fun to kneel on nor is my hard wood flooring.
Now, to be clear, this isn’t going to turn into some sort of “zomg I am becoming a fitness junkie and will post all of the food I eat and exercises I do on all social media platforms all of the time” type of thing. I’m honestly doing this yoga thing for me and as a way to help me relax and focus. As with anything in life, if you aren’t doing it for yourself, then maybe you shouldn’t be doing it – bending and changing because of another person’s view of how you should or shouldn’t isn’t healthy or sustainable.
Now time for my regularly scheduled Memorial Day plans – bbqing, sitting in my yard, and enjoying time with some good people.
The tightrope that I’m walking just sways and ties.
The devil, as he’s talking, with those angel’s eyes.
And I just wanna be there when the lightning strikes.
And the saints go marching in
And sing slow it down,
Through chaos as it swirls,
It’s us against the world.
Right now I am, for lack of a better world, struggling. I feel as if everything is moving quickly and I just can’t keep up.
Now, this is not to say things are bad for me right now – in fact things are pretty decent. However, I keep running into large and dominant road blocks when I try to do things; if it isn’t writers block, then it’s no motivation, lack of creativity, exhaustion, too many ideas, lack of tools needed, the list goes on and on.
Now I read a question posed once about creativity and whether everyone is given a certain amount and once you use it up, it’s gone.
I surely hope this isn’t the case.
Without creativity, a lot of what makes me me would be lost. The thought of this makes me worry since I’ve spent so much time and energy trying to discover who I am and what makes me happy. Now is not the time to have all of that crumble.
And if we could float away,
Fly up to the surface and just start again.
And lift off before trouble just erodes us in the rain
Just erodes us in the rain
Just erodes us and see roses in the rain
Sing slow it down
Slow it down
Through chaos as it swirls,
It’s us against the world.
Through chaos as it swirls,
It’s us against the world
I can’t force it. That will only make things worse. I need to just be in the moment and seize opportunities. Forcing it or dwelling on my lack of creativity and motivation will only make me angry and frustrated – causing the whole cycle to repeat and get worse.
I need to process my thoughts and emotions. I need to get outside and get fresh air. I need to just stop living inside my head. I can’t force this either. It really seems like a lose/lose.
But if it is one thing I know, is that I’ve been here before and I’ve made it through. I can do it again, I just need to have a little patience and faith.
Quotes are from Coldplay’s “Us Against the World”
Thank you Buzzfeed for pairing up “Drunk in Love” with Meryl Davis and Charlie White’s free dance. Figure skating needs a bit of additional fierceness that only Bey can bring, right?
Page 3 of 29«12345...1020...»Last »